Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Tuesday: Tripping to School

My friend gave me some feedback on my blog and told me she liked the self-deprecating nature of it. In the spirit of that, here's a little more self-deprecation. It's amazing how easy it comes when you're kind of a klutz.

So today I was feeling sort of rushed as I left the house to get to my 9:30am class (so early). I managed to get on the right bus to get to class on time, but didn't manage to get there very gracefully. I got off the bus and was happily walking down the street, coffee in hand, when all of the sudden the sidewalk jumped in front of me and I nearly went down (to be fair, the sidewalks on that part of campus are notoriously frost-heaved*. Everyone knows it).

I don't know what I was looking at, but one of my classmates was about three feet in front of me, so when I almost went down, I nearly took her out. She's all walking down the street, totally not tripping, when all of the sudden she hears "Ack!" from behind her and turns to see me nearly crashing into her.

Some nice older ladies who were just passing stopped to make sure I was ok, and I of course tried to play it cool, but there was just no going back with the classmate. I tried to start a normal conversation as we walked to class, but I think she thought I was a little weird. To make matters worse, I totally cut my toe up on the stupid sidewalk. By the time I got to class it was bleeding and gross.

Ah yes, tripping during my second week of grad school. Reminds me of the time I tripped down the stairs on my first day of high school (true story! In a brand new school and everything). Here's to me learning how to walk better.


+++++++++++++++
*Meaning buckled, sticking up, whatever you want to call it. Thanks to RL for the whole "frost-heaved" descriptor though. He's very technical when it comes to cold weather problems.

4 comments:

Sarcasm Abounds said...

Darn uppity sidewalk.

Anonymous said...

Oh that frost-heave. A very common problem, at least for me.

Unknown said...

I had the same problem yesterday - running for the bus in my "big girl shoes". The bus driver opened the door and asked if I was ok as I was sprawled out at the stop. NEVER RUN FOR THE BUS.

Leslie said...

Be very careful walking around that campus. I remember walking to the parking lot after classes and I was near the light t Folsom and Colorado, by the math building (??? man its been too long, I can't remember buildings or street names!!) and was totally into my own thoughts and walked OFF the sidewalk. Pretty sure I fell un-gracefully, but was just happy I didn't twist my ankle.

Unlike the time I fell down three stairs on the last day of work before summer vacation and DID sprain my ankle. Spent hours at the walk-in clinic the night before driving 8 hours to Texas with my swollen foot resting on the dash. Fun times.