Thursday, February 28, 2008

lobster fest 08

Yeah, it's been awhile. But that's because nothing terribly exciting has happened recently. Until last night.

That's right, it's Lobster Fest at Red Lobster, and boy, did we celebrate those lobsters.

I know what you're thinking. Tplate, aren't you a vegetarian? Well, yes, but once in awhile I'll indulge in a little shellfish. Nevermind that these bottom feeders have twice the cholesterol of red meat, and that there was an actual tank of live lobsters as we walked into the restaurant, one of which inevitably ended up on our plate of Lobster Lover's Dream. (At least it's fresh, right?)

The good thing about lobster is that you can pull the edible part out of the shell fairly easily (none of those "bones" to get in the way, one of the reasons I can't deal with meat) and then dip it in melted butter. I mean, come on.

We went with our friends, one of whom received a Red Lobster gift card for Christmas, and had been literally holding onto it until Lobster Fest came around. So we happily donned our plastic bibs, munched on those delicious herb cheese biscuits, and ate our fill of crustacean delicacies.

Afterward we went and saw U2 in 3D, which I would highly recommend if it's playing in your area. I was a tad disappointed with the fact that Bono did not once point his crotch at the camera, but he did reach out to touch us at least once (with his hand). The 3D thing was great (made possible, in part, by RL's company) and made you feel like a really tall person wandering around the crowd and the stage. I got all inspired by the music, then started daydreaming about Bono running for president. Would The Edge would be his running mate? Would they run under those names? The Edge is actually named Dave. Bono is named Paul. Borrrring. They could be like the first rock n' roll leaders of the free world. The Bono/Edge ticket. Yeah.

I wonder if Bono and/or The Edge have ever been to Lobster Fest? I think they, like us, might do it just for the kitsch factor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! It was the best event EVER. Especially when the still-alive lobster went to the kitchen on the waiter's plate. And when I mixed mashed potatoes with the rock lobster. And when I saw the restaurant in the distance, looking ever-so nautical. And when I left the U2 concert with my shirt-bib rustling over my full stomach, only to enter a car that reeked of leftover lobster, which I immediately ate more of out of the doggie bag. Awesome. Simply awesome.
*The Seafood Lover

Leslie said...

I haven't tried Lobster Fest, but it is now on my list.

I agree with you on bones and food. I don't normally enjoy ribs because I hate picking up the meat and gnawing on the bone. That reason is also I don't like drumsticks (the chicken, not the icecream cone).