Sunday, February 10, 2008

whose rhetoric is this?

Reading a NY Times article this morning about yesterday's caucuses, I was amused by the language the Republicans are using about this election. Also kind of frightened. I know I am firmly entrenched on the other side of things, but my candidate just isn't talking like this.

On his win in Kansas: "Mr. Huckabee declared that the voters had been
heard from. “They spoke with one voice,” he said. “They said I am the authentic conservative in this race.”

I honestly can't believe people fight over who's more conservative, who's more authentic. Have you been with us for the past eight years? That's not going to win this race, not in this America. The people he's speaking to are an ever-diminishing group. Do they not realize this? Why not expand your horizons a little? Open up to new possibilities?

Mr. Huckabee compared himself to Ronald Reagan when he challenged President Gerald Ford for the 1976 nomination. “He was the pariah of the party,” he said. “Now people love Ronald Reagan.”

I'm sorry, but I don't know anyone who loves Ronald Reagan.

Then, his opponent:

A spokesperson from McCain's camp said: “Our focus remains the same: uniting the Republican Party to defeat Democrats in 2008.”

Way to go! It's all about defeating the enemy! Unite to defeat! Who cares about the real issues at stake? We just want to make sure we win! Indeed, I have lost much respect for McCain in the last few weeks, as he has basked in his wins and lost sight of anything that matters. (And by the way, did anyone see his 96-year-old mother on stage with him the other night? Apparently she takes her fashion cues from Barbara Bush. Hey, it worked for George W., right?)

Finally, let's look at this very apropos picture of Mr. Obama, which topped the NY Times story. I don't know if they were trying to make a statement or what, but he seems to be sitting in the center of those two background colors quite nicely.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least he's not wearing that goofy smile.

Leslie said...

Did you cacus? I was proud of myself for voting last Tuesday. It was a rainy day and I had 2 of the 3 kids, but when I went there wasn't a line and I was able to get in and out in less than 5 minutes I bet. Felt good to have my say.

I think this is the first time in years that I've felt giddy over this election. And it might be the first time the Republicans aren't as excited. Interesting.

tee-plate said...

i did caucus! it was not nearly so easy. but an interesting experience. about 5 people in our classroom stuffed with 100 people were for Hillary. The rest were Obamaites like me :)
Good job voting! Missouri was a big state.