Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Life with a 12-year-old

A couple of funny conversations between RL and I of late....

We had a block party last Sunday, and RL paid for a kind of pricey keg of beer for our party-goers (something about "gas" prices up means "transportation costs" are also up, and therefore "everything" is more expensive these days. who knew?) Anyway, RL's not drinking right now, so he wanted some money back on his investment. He decided to make a little sign directing people to send donations his way.

RL: Do you think the sign should say "look for the guy in the neck brace and the red visor"?
Me: Um, I'm pretty sure you can leave off the red visor descriptor.
RL: Really?
Me: Like there's going to be another guy here in a neck brace and a blue visor?
RL: Oh.

+++++
Last night I went upstairs to bed while RL was enjoying his favorite, obsessive past time of Tetris (that's right, on the original NES!). It was almost 11pm, way past his bed time, and I told him he should probably shut it down for the night. After about the tenth "just one more game" exclamation, I gave up.

So I'm upstairs brushing my teeth, and I notice that the jingly Tetris music isn't going anymore, but I don't hear RL moving around or anything. What I do hear is the little squeak of the Nintendo controller, and RL trying to be quiet.

Me, from upstairs: Did you just turn the music off so I would think that you weren't playing anymore?
RL: (suppressing giggles) Ummmm, no?
Me: What are you doing then?
RL: Stuff. (more giggles)
Me: You are like a 12-year-old.
RL: I can't believe you busted me!

RL came upstairs finally, still laughing about his feeble attempt to be sneaky. Ah yes, he is a 12-year-old. And of course, I'm the one that can't get the jingly Tetris music out of my head.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

But isn't their playful side why we love them? Of course I'd prefer the 12-year old get lost when it comes to things like keeping the house picked up and making a bigger effort to keep the toilet clean.

Anonymous said...

I can see it, hear it and giggle with you. Makes you see the funny side of life doesn't it? Mom