Tuesday, October 30, 2007

and now for something completely different

>>HOLD UP, I forgot a very important part of the recipe--the lemon juice! See below for revised recipe.

i've been into cooking a lot more lately, and i'd like to think that i'm getting better at it. of course, i always watch the food network when nothing else is on, so maybe i'm subconsciously getting inspired. (like yesterday, giatta was working with chocolate and made the most delicious looking panini out of brie cheese, chocolate, fresh basil and sourdough bread, which pretty much represent my four food groups. i have yet to try it but i'll let you know how it goes).

anyway, here's a less fattening recipe for my hummus, which has gotten good reviews at some recent parties. it took me a long time to arrive at this recipe, which is a conglomeration of other recipes and my imagination.

Tee-plate's Curry Hummus

In a food processor/blender*, mix:

1 can drained Garbanzo beans (reserve some of the juice for later)
4 1/2 Tbsp Tahini
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
5 Tbsp Lemon Juice
2 cloves Garlic
1 Tbsp Curry
Couple dashes of Cayenne Pepper
Couple dashes of Sea Salt

Mix it all up, then add some Garbanzo juice if it's too thick. Add more salt, curry, cayenne to taste. Delish!

Sometimes i double the recipe just to make sure it lasts. This stuff is good with triscuits, carrots, on sandwiches, with blue corn chips. And it's pretty healthy, right?

+++++++++
*RL got me a food processor for my birthday last year. He also got me a Kitchenaid mixer by mistake, because he accidentally forgot the name for Cuisinart. Anyway, i do appreciate them, but i think it's funny that for our very first Christmas/birthday together he got me two kitchen appliances. I mean, didn't he ever see Father of the Bride?

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Thanks for the recipe. I love cooking and trying new things. I think the only time I tried hummus I didn't care for it, but that was store bought, so maybe made fresh and flavored to my liking will be a better experience.

And about the appliances....I was totally psyched to get a new vacuum recently. And last year I only wanted kitchen things. And for my birthday/mother's day a few years ago, I got a stand up mixer. It rocks!!!

tee-plate said...

yeah, hummus can be an acquired taste for some people, but there are a lot of bad store-bought hummuses out there--it's amazing how different it can taste. i promise this one's good!

Anonymous said...

I will definitely try your recipe. I have been meaning to experiment with some chick peas anyway.

By the way, my mom has a very strict rule about kitchen appliances. She refuses to accept one as a gift from my dad. She's not a feminist, but I see her point. No offense to RL, of course.

Anonymous said...

i made it and it's good.

Sarcasm Abounds said...

Yes, I saw "Father of the Bride," and the poor bastard got his hand slammed in the car door for his refreshingly practical nature. . .

SA