Tuesday, January 29, 2008

i heart the waiting room

I went to the dentist today, first time in almost a year (gasp!). When I checked in I told the lady behind the counter who I was and that I had new insurance. She took my card, made a copy, gave it back to me, and I sat down. Then, one minute later she comes out and calls "Tplate?" like I hadn't just told her my fricking name, and like there are more than two people in the waiting room. Weird.

She brings me into the office, sits me down and puts on one those bibs to catch your drool (which came in very handy later, when I was, in fact, drooling), and leaves. I sit in the chair for 10 minutes waiting for the hygienist. Without the comfort of the magazine I just left in the waiting room.

Why do they do this? A few months ago I had to go the lady doctor and the same thing happened. I'm all sitting in the waiting room, reading any of the 100 fascinating magazines they have available, and then they call me back. I go in the office, undress, and sit on the table in my paper nightie until the nurse comes back in and tells me that the doctor just got in with a patient who happened to be late for her appointment. I was going to have to wait 20 minutes or so. Okay, so I, who was EARLY to my appointment, have to wait for some other jerk who happened to be late for hers. But not only do I have to wait, I have to wait in a paper nightie with NOTHING TO READ. Delightful. So I read the posters on the wall about the reproductive system about fifteen times. (I had no idea the fallopian tubes were so lengthy!)

Today's dentist appointment ended with them telling me that I had FOUR cavities, and another filling from childhood had disappeared. (Apparently I swallowed it. Delightful.) Now, I haven't had cavities since I was 15, so I really don't know what the numbing/drilling/filling regime is like now, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like it. Also apparently, when you turn 30 weird things like this happen.

Like I don't have enough to do now that I'm 30.

6 comments:

TJ said...

oh my gooooooood. tplate. i am so sorry.... yeah, and the hottness of the dentist (and, may i say, his hygenist) don't really change the fact that you have four cavities. wow. im sorry. but i can TOTALLY relate to the doctor's office thing-- that is my ultimate pet peeve. let me sit, clothed, in peace in the waiting room with the magazines, goddamnit!!!!!

Leslie said...

Getting old sucks, huh? Last year (hadn't even turned 29 yet, sheesh) I found out I have many cavities (most still need filling, ugh) but the jackpot was that I needed a root canal and a crown!!! Totally sucked. Now I have a falsie for a back molar and almost a year later I am always feeling it with my tongue. It just feels fake....blah.

Hopefully your dentist was nice to you. The one I saw the past two appointments I am never going back to. She had really bad bedside manner and both times I left feeling like some bum who'd never brushed or floss ever in my life. I don't go to the dentist to feel bad about myself. Sheesh.

Sorry about the cavities...I'm right there with you.

Anonymous said...

never ever go anywhere without a book! mom

Anonymous said...

I once got a cavity I didn't need. I say get a second opinion and a small 4x6 inch handbook you can read while waiting in little rooms.

Tenth Muse said...

The body falls apart after 30. You soon discover muscles and joints that you never knew existed. You start losing the hair on your head, but new hair starts growing in the strangest places. 9:00 p.m. will feel like it's time for bed. You can't remember a thing. Welcome to the club! :)

Anonymous said...

Lady Doctor - priceless!