Wednesday, January 9, 2008

This just in...

I got on the bus today, and seated in front of me was a man on his cell phone. Soon after I sat down, he pulled the cord to request a stop. When the bus driver stopped, the guy kindly got off his cell phone long enough to say, "Oh sorry, I pulled it for the wrong reason." Then he got back to his phone conversation.

At first I thought he must have meant he pulled it for the wrong stop, and that he would be getting off at the next one. But no. He was on the bus all the way to the end with me.

So I spent the entire bus ride trying to figure out what the hell other reason you would have for pulling the bus cord other than to request a stop. It's like that Lewis Black bit about overhearing a waitress at the IHOP saying "If it weren't for my horse, I never would have spent that year in college." In his words, don't even try to understand what that means or your brain will explode! So I tried to keep calm as I went over the options.

Did he just get excited and have to pull something? Does he have a tic? Was he about to fall out of his chair and grabbed onto the nearest thing?

This is the kind of language you use when you get into relationships you know you shouldn't be in: I did it for the wrong reason! Or steal some kid's milk money on the playground to get in with the cool kids*: I did it for the wrong reason! This is not the kind of language you use on the bus.

+++++++
*Please note I have never, ever done this.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Wow! I am going to be pondering this for a long time.

I can't even respond more since my brain won't stop listing reasons why he might have pulled the rope. Was it a dare? Did he think there was a prize? Is he like Moe on The Doodlebops and can't stop himself from pulling the rope? (just tune into the first 3 minutes of The Doodlebops and you'll know what I mean)

Arrrrrggggggggg.....I think you need to go find the guy and ask him.