Monday, January 28, 2008

sled fest 08

Well, as you can see, I had to change the name of my blog. Yup, I couldn't hold on to 29 any longer, and the 30s are here. I'm okay with it though, and, as my older and wiser family members keep telling me, it's going to be a great decade.

For my birthday my awesome Colorado-side friends indulged me and went sledding! It was 60 degrees but our sledding hill managed to hold on to enough snow to make it fun. Here's a peek at one of cardboard box races (the "station wagon" of sleds as RL calls them). Team Tplate vs. Team Cardboard Box. We totally won, as you'll see. Please ignore the point where I put the camera down to put my gloves on. :)




After we tried to squeeze eight people into a box and the boxes subsequently fell apart, we raced on what I can only describe as "rocket sleds" which propelled us down the snow/ice/grass into the padded trees and hay bales at the bottom of the hill.



For my final run of the day I decided to go a totally different route and ended up narrowly missing a tree and landing gracefully in the gravel under the swingset of the nearby playground. Everyone watching was pretty sure we were about to go to the hospital, but I managed to come out of it with just a few scrapes. (Apparently there is something you can do called "bailing" which would have diminished the risk, but I was unaware of he technique at the time.)

Once we were all cleaned up, we went for burgers at Red Robin, a classic teenage experience!




My friends are great. Thanks guys!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like the Blair Witch of sledding!

Happy Bday, NSH!

Leslie said...

Looked like a lot of fun!

Glad you had a painless jump into your 30's. If you had crashed, that would have been a bad omen.

My memory of you and Red Robin will forever be you making me try a veggie burger...."it takes just like meat" the vegetarian said, all the while thinking "Sucker!!"

Happy Birthday!!

TJ said...

fun night. glad i didn't go sledding. send me the pics we put on your camera. is it prom tonight guys or what?!

TJ said...

okay, ummmmm, you promised some stories about the hot dentist. i'm waiting!!!!

Anonymous said...

Those burgers look good.