Saturday, August 2, 2008

Weird things people ask for at a Mexican restaurant

So I'm still waitressing at the hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant I told you about earlier. It's a funny job because you interact with so many different types of people. most of them normal, and some, well, not so normal.

The other day an older couple came in. The woman seemed to have something wrong with her face, like she couldn't stop smiling uncontrollably or crossing her eyes. It took me awhile to adjust to having a conversation with such a person. The first thing she asked me for was cottage cheese, because she wasn't that hungry and didn't want anything spicy. (Apparently she had come out just because her man friend wanted dinner). Unfortunately, most Mexican restaurants don't have cottage cheese. After a long conversation about what else we do have that might fit the bill, she settled on a cheese quesadilla.

In other quesadilla news, a woman and her two young sons were sitting in my section last week. She immediately asked for a grilled cheese sandwich for the kids. I said we didn't really have any bread, just tortillas, and maybe a quesadilla would work? Mommy said the kids don't do tortillas. So she ordered them a plate of French Fries (which we do, randomly, have). Much better option. How about getting your kids to branch out a little? Like, to other wheat flour-based cheese-holding options?

Finally, the first table of my shift on Tuesday was a pair of older men. It was happy hour, so they ended up ordering the cheap tacos, which come with meat, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese. Pretty basic, but what more do you expect on a taco? Well, when I put the plate down in front of one them, he looked at it and said, "What am I supposed to put on this?" I looked at him, kind of confused, but said maybe he wanted to put some salsa on it?

"Isn't there like a sauce? A Spanish sauce? I mean, a Mexican sauce?" Again, I offer up the salsa (which, in fact, means sauce in Spanish) or suggest a Cholula or Tabasco. He decides the Cholula could probably do, and mows through two tacos only to order another two.

Unfortunately the credit card machine wasn't working at that moment, so Mr. Cholula got away without leaving me a tip. I love this job!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Isn't salsa the number one condiment....because people just like to say "sal-sa". Ohhh...Seinfeld....

But seriously, I feel your pain for waiting tables. I know how much you just loooooved all the folks at Revs. They weren't all bad. Some maybe a tad annoying (like the Butterf***ers, or whatever their name really was, and insiting on sitting in a booth), but most were nice enough.

I still fume about the dude asking if Emma was single....he asked me if another hostess was single! No ass, she has a huge boyfriend...but hey, I'm not seeing anyone!